Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Thing 27 - twitter

On a personal level, I am not an extensive user of Twitter. I can't imagine anyone I know wanting to read about what I do each day. But I can see that for this generation growing up with Twitter, it is one of the many great ways to communicate. So on a professional level, I think that Twitter is yet another significant Web 2.0 tool. On a side note, I have a younger relative that I was trying to track down. He uses a cell phone for his home phone, and he does not have email or voicemail. However, he does text. I finally got a hold of him through texting. In other words, as librarians, we must go where our users are, and many of them are on Twitter. But that is not the only place. They are also on Facebook, blogs, websites, IMing, calling and even still reading the newspaper. So we must make a concerted effort to communicate the many good things going on at libraries in these many ways in order to reach our diverse users.

No comments: