Saturday, September 12, 2009

Thing 19 - podcasts

I know that there are many worthwhile podcasts out there. I have not taken the time to really take advantage of these many resources. With regard to the time factor mentioned in my first post, it would be helpful for me to start listening regularly to just one podcast. However, I also find that unless I am driving in the car or doing some other activity, I'm not good at just sitting and listening to something. Since many learners are not usually auditory, this is interesting to note for students as well. I can see having students fill in notes or answer questions as they are listening to a podcast.

I have collaborated with a teacher for students in the class to make podcasts of essays they had written. The students did a great job and seemed to enjoy working with the technology (Audacity). I'm not sure if I'm ready to make a podcast of my own yet...

Regarding resources, iTunes has a whole library of free podcasts for educators as well. I can see using these podcasts for lessons and for learning about a particular topic for me. I will have to get back to this Thing.

No comments: