Monday, April 26, 2010

Thing 32 - Google Maps and Mashups

I have used several types of mashups. One site that I liked until it became inundated with ads was Mapmyrun.com. It was great for mapping out and calculating mileage for runs and walks. I also liked the solar calculator site from this activity that allows you to find out how much solar power you can possibly generate by adding solar panels to your roof. I think that the My Maps tool could be a great project for students to be able to map places and then share what they have learned about them rather than using the typical poster for assessment. One comment on the map function however, is that sometimes the maps freeze up, or else the mouse can not be freed up without clicking and adding an unwanted point to a map. I have noticed this issue on several sites. But most likely this problem will improve with the technology. In the mean time, mashups are still a positive enhancement to any curriculum.

No comments: