Saturday, July 26, 2008

Thing 3 - love it!!!

I have to admit that I have not been good about reading through all the many resources available to librarians... because there are so many! When I do sit down to do research, I find all these great sites, try to write them down, mark them as favorites (I know, I should be using Del.icio.us), etc. But the results are unorganized - eek! I can't believe I just admitted that as a librarian. Anyway, RSS is an amazing way to keep track of all the good resources I find AND helps to keep me up to date.

As soon as I read Thing 3, I started to think about how I can bring this to the classroom. A few ideas I had were to use this concept periodically during our silent sustained reading time. I can work with students and have them set up their own reader. Then they then can use the computers to access their selections. This technology gives students something to work on if they are finished with a computer assignment as well. I can also see collaborating with classroom teachers in order to use readers as the basis for writing assignments (writing about content they have chosen), current events, etc.

These are just a few quick ideas. I better go check my Blogline account for more!

No comments: